Grooming Habits to foster confidence
Welcome to this series about Confidence. Enjoy the precepts and principles. Enjoy the many benefits of good confidence.
Comedian Billy Crystal created a character named “Fernando” on the comedy sketch show Saturday Night Live in the mid-1980s. Fernando was exaggerated and outlandish, and is still remembered for his often-stated belief that …
“It is better to look good than to feel good.”
The comedian says he based the shallow, playboy-like character he created on Hollywood legend Fernando Lamas. Crystal once overheard Lamas say the statement that the fictional Fernando is so well-known for. Adding the quote to the Fernando character was Crystal’s way of honoring the suave and debonair Lamas after he died.
Without knowing it, both Lamas and Crystal may have been onto something about how personal appearance can affect emotions.
Children that attend schools with grooming regulations and dress codes get significantly better grades than those that do not. Workplace productivity is enhanced, and more income is earned by employees, in work environments which demand personal cleanliness and neatness.
You can find evidence that looking clean, neat and “sharp” leads to feelings of self-confidence and positive emotions in your own life. Think about the most recent time you dressed up. Wearing “fancy clothes” usually means shaving for men, applying some type of makeup for women, and countless other grooming rituals.
After all your hard work, you took a look in the mirror and … BOOM! You felt great about yourself! The following grooming tips are just a few ways you can foster self-assurance, confidence and inner strength.
- Treat yourself to a pedicure or manicure.
- Floss your teeth once a day, and brush 3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time.
- Rinse with mouthwash and/or plaque remover for a fresh tasting and feeling tingling sensation.
- Adopt a neat, short hairstyle and get your hair cut regularly.
- Wear shorts, jeans and sneakers less frequently, and “dress up” more, even if you will just be spending your day at home or running normal errands.
- Clean or shine your shoes, and press or starch your shirts and pants, even jeans, shorts and slacks.
- Take a shower. Showering promotes positive feelings and emotions, and can be used as an energetic, self-confidence boosting trigger any time of the day or night.
- Shop for a few new outfits.
- Men shave your face. Women, shave your legs.
- Use a cologne or perfume that makes you feel good about yourself when you smell it.
- Even if your work does not require it, or you work from home, groom yourself and “dress up” before you start your workday.
For more blogs please go to www.NicksDigitalSolutions.com and choose Nicks blog.
For E-Learning material, please go to www.NicksDigitalSolutions.com and choose E-Learning Shop and, in particular, the Pathways to Success or Seniors options.
Nick Thorne is the founder of NicksDigitalSolutions Limited a company that specialises in Education, Training and Writing. He lives in Levin, New Zealand